GERUND






THE -ING FORM ---->GERUND

The -ING Form can be used like 

  • NOUN
  • ADJECTIVE
  • A VERB
Examples

  • Smoking is forbidden
  • I have a long working day
  • I don't like dancing
 I . GERUND  When it is used like a noun,
It may or may not have an article before it, for examples
  • Marketing is a very inexact science
  • The Marketing of the product will continue for a few months yet.
It can also be part  of a noun phrase ,for examples:
  • Speaking to an audience is always stressful
  • Swimming after work id very relaxing.
In formal English we would use a possessive with the ING Form.In informal English many people do not.Example
  • I am angry about his missing the meeting.
  • Do you mind my coming?

II. Gerund as ADJECTIVE
The ING form can be used before a noun,for examples
  • I was met by a welcoming party at airport
  • Let's go to the meeting room.
The ING Form used after Preposition
examples:
  • Before leaving you need to speak to Sarah
  • After discussing it with her,I have my mind
  • Instead of feeling sorry for yourself,do some work for charity.
Notice that when "to" is used as preposition.Its followed by the ING Form,examples
  • I don't mind to working this Sunday.
  • I am looking forward to seeing him again.
  • I'm used to working in long hours
III.GERUND used like VERB+ING
There are many VERB+ING Combinations.Here are some common ones.For examples
  • I admit telling her
  • I avoid speaking to him
  • He denied telling her
  • I enjoy dancing

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
My Name is NI NENGAH DESSI.I am a blogger.Female.I am a Balinese.Indonesia is my country.

SEGEHAN HARI RAYA NYEPI

  Kemarin banyak yang tanya Segehan yg 11tanding itu untuk dimana Ini saya share ulang yang lebih lengkap. ✓ Tri Mala Paksa, yaitu Bhuta Buc...

Blog Archive