SIMPLE PAST CONTINUOUS TENSES

Simple past continuous tense

The past continuous tense, also known as the past progressive tense, refers to a continuing action or state that was happening at some point in the past. The past continuous tense is formed by combining the past tense of to be (i.e., was/were) with the verb's present participle (-ing word).

Past continuous tense

Functions of the past continuous

The past continuous describes actions or events in a time before now, which began in the past and were still going on when another event occurred.

It is used:

  • Often, to describe the background in a story written in the past tense, e.g. "The sun was shining and the birds were singing as the elephant came out of the jungle. The other animals were relaxing in the shade of the trees, but the elephant moved very quickly. She was looking for her baby, and she didn't notice the hunter who was watching her through his binoculars. When the shot rang out, she was running towards the river..."
  • to describe an unfinished action that was interrupted by another event or action, e.g. "I was having a beautiful dream when the alarm clock rang."
  • to express a change of mind: e.g. "I was going to spend the day at the beach but I've decided to get my homework done instead."
  • with 'wonder', to make a very polite request: e.g. "I was wondering if you could baby-sit for me tonight."
Examples

·         They were waiting for the bus when the accident happened.

·         Caroline was skiing when she broke her leg.

·         When we arrived he was having a bath.

·         When the fire started I was watching television.

We use the past continuous to talk about the past:

·         for something which happened before and after another action:

The children were doing their homework when I got home.

Compare: The children did their homework when (= after) I got home.

This use of the past continuous is very common at the beginning of a story:

The other day I was waiting for a bus when …
Last week, as I was driving to work, … 

·         for something that happened before and after a specific time:

It was eight o'clock. I was writing a letter.

Compare: At eight o'clock I wrote (= started writing) some letters.

·         to show that something continued for some time:

My head was aching.
Everyone was shouting.

·         for something that happened again and again:

was practising every day, three times a day.
They were meeting secretly after school.
They were always quarrelling.

·         with verbs which show change or growth:

The children were growing up quickly.
Her English was improving.
My hair was going grey.
The town was changing quickly.

We do not normally use the past continuous with stative verbs. We use the past simple instead:

When I got home, I really needed (NOT was needinga shower.

 














Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
My Name is NI NENGAH DESSI.I am a blogger.Female.I am a Balinese.Indonesia is my country.

SEGEHAN HARI RAYA NYEPI

  Kemarin banyak yang tanya Segehan yg 11tanding itu untuk dimana Ini saya share ulang yang lebih lengkap. ✓ Tri Mala Paksa, yaitu Bhuta Buc...

Blog Archive